Journal Ranking – marketing
There are several sources of academic journal rankings that can be used to identify “top” journals in an area. See FAQ - Where can I find a ranking and rating of business and management journals? for more detail.
The journal ranking data for 2011 is the latest available. Based on previous years, the Journal Citation Reports (2012), including Impact Factors 2012, will be available around the end of June 2013.
Using Marketing as an example:
ABS Academic Journal Quality Guide (last updated Nov 2010) has a Marketing section with five journals identified as “grade four” (the highest)
- Journal of Marketing (ISSN 0022-2429)
- Journal of Marketing Research (ISSN 0022-2437)
- Journal of Consumer Research (ISSN 0093-5301)
- Marketing Science (ISSN 0732-2399)
- Journal of Retailing (ISSN 0022-4359)
SJR SCImago Journal and Country Rank – Journal Ranking:
Area Business, Management and Accounting, Category Marketing, Country All, Order by H Index, Year 2011 (based in Scopus data) gives the following first five
- Journal of Marketing (ISSN - 00222429)
- Administrative Science Quarterly (ISSN - 00018392)
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (ISSN - 00920703)
- Journal of Marketing Research (ISSN - 00222437)
- Journal of Consumer Research (ISSN - 00935301)
The ISI Web of Knowledge Journal Citation Reports (2011 JCR Social Science Edition) do not have marketing as a separate category, but Journal of Marketing, Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Retailing and Journal of Marketing Research are all in the top 20 for subject category Business ranked by Impact Factor.
Also from Journal Citation Reports (2011) Top 10 journals in Management, Finance and Economics from INSEAD blog.
Eigenfactor claims to rank journals in a similar way to Google ranking websites.
- Eigenfactor ranking for ISI category Business - there is no marketing category but several marketing journals are at the top of this category.
See also previous post – Journal Rankings http://bizlib247.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/journal-rankings/ (Oct 2010)