Mergers and Acquisitions Research
The possible merger of BAE Systems and EADS is much reported in the financial press at the moment.
Using the Factiva business news database we can see that there have been almost 100 articles about BAE Systems in the Financial Times alone in the last 3 months (almost all about the proposed merger).
However, there is not yet anything definite. On 12 Sept 2010 BAE Systems issued an official statement. ”Further to the recent movement in BAE Systems’ share price, BAE Systems plc (BAE Systems) and EADS N.V. (EADS) confirm that they are in discussions regarding a possible combination of their businesses. …” (RNS Number 1353M from PI Navigator). There is no specific merger proposal, so there is very little detail that can be recorded in a Merger and Acquisition database.
Although the merger is only possible. It is likely to be included in reports be Analysts who follow either of these companies. (Some analysts may delay producing a report until there is a specific merger proposal.)
See also (earlier posts)
- Mergers and acquisitions databases (Nov 2011)
- Researching mergers and acquisitions (Jan 2011)
- Deals info from Thomson One Banker (Mar 2011)
Mergers and acquisition research can involve much more that the financial details of the deals, and remember not all deals are successfully completed.
Update 10 October 2012: EADS and BAE call off merger
- “BAE Systems and EADS announce that they have decided to terminate their discussions” (RNS Number 13955O from PI Navigator).
- EADS, BAE call off world’s biggest arms merger (Thomson Reuters)
- EADS-BAE Pull Plug on Merger Amid Government Opposition (Bloomberg)