WRDS website and access
(An updated version of this post is available: WRDS website and access, updated October 2015)
WRDS (Wharton Research Data Service) is not really a database itself. It is a system designed to give researchers access to a range of financial databases (CRSP, Compustat, CCM, Compustat Execucomp, LSPD) though a common interface, and with integrated support.
Access to WRDS is via a username and password. Some taught modules provide students with a “class account” (such as Advanced Empirical Finance). MSc students, PhD students and academic staff can apply for their own username and password (this provides extra capabilities for running SAS programs on the WRDS system.)
- Go to WRDS start page.
- Under the login boxes, click on link Register for a WRDS Account.
- Fill in the details as follows:
- Institution: University of Manchester
- Affiliation With Institution: Masters Student
- First Name: your first name
- Last Name: your last name
- Email: must be your University email address
- Department: leave blank
- Desired Username: University username mxxxxxxx is recommended
- When Do You Expect Your Degree?: End date from your library card
- Press Submit.
- An email will be sent to our library admin staff who should activate your account within 24 hours.
- You will receive an email explaining that your account has been activated. It will include a default password that you can change.
Updated 17 June 2015