Industry/sector codes in Datastream
Update Oct 2013 – Datastream variables for GICS (Global Industry Classification Standard) added.
Researchers often want to select companies based on their industry or sector.
There are a variety of systems for classifying industries/sectors: SIC codes, ICB codes, GICS codes … For more detail see post on Industry classification codes.
This Datastream AFO sheet shows a static request to get a variety of industry/sector codes.
- WC07021 – SIC1, SIC primary code from Worldscope
- WC07040 – ICB, ICB code from Worldscope
- ICBIC, ICBIN – ICB industry code and name
- INDG, INDM – Datastream level 6 industrial classification number and name
- TR1, TR1N – TRBC (Thomson Reuters Business Classification) economic sector code and name
- MSCISC, MSCSIC – MSCI Sector and Sub-Industry GICS codes
(The GICS Direct codes give “not available” as these are not part of the University of Manchester Datastream subscription.)
Note: This is not a complete list of all industry/sector codes available in Datastream.
Thomson Reuters Business Classification (TRBC) Quick Guide – for background and methodology see http://financial.thomsonreuters.com/trbc