Home > News & Feedback > Datastream AFO problems

Datastream AFO problems

Thank you to the students who reported problems with the Datastream AFO Excel add-in. Update Aug 17 2012Thanks to Andrew of MBS IT we have a workaround – for details see comment below.


Datastream AFO VB error

Investigation this morning has identified the problem. Microsoft recently issued a critical update which has affected external Visual Basic applications including the Datastream AFO Excel add-in. Thomson Reuters are aware of this but they do not yet have a solution. For details see their Microsoft Update note.

MBS IT advise that as the Microsoft update is critical it is not possible to uninstall it. (There have been increased problems with virus and malware software on campus recently.)

Friday Aug 17, MBS IT have come up with a workaround until Thomson Reuters or Microsoft issue a fix (details in comment below). This should be applied to all our PCs with Datastream on reboot. If you get an error at the first attempt to use the DS AFO Excel add-in then close Excel and try again.

If DS AFO Excel add-in problems persist the alternatives that we can suggest are:

  1. Use the Datastream Application Interface and export resulting data to Excel.
  2. Use an alternative database – see earlier Researching Financial Markets post

We realise that these are not ideal if you are in the midst of collecting your dissertation data from Datastream. Please get in touch if you need further help or advice.

In addition, please continue to let us know if you are still having problems with Datastream.

Categories: News & Feedback Tags:
  1. Jeff Wesson
    17 August 2012 at 9:37 am

    Not too sure if this is the same issue we experienced some months ago with datastream. After KB2598041 we experienced a VB Script error when launching the datastream addin from Excel. Our fix was to delete all .exd files.

    • markgreenwood
      17 August 2012 at 11:20 am

      Unfortunately this is very similar VB script error, but deleting all the .exd files doesn’t solve the problem this time. The Manchester Business School IT service have come up with a suggestion that I’m just going to go and test.

  2. markgreenwood
    17 August 2012 at 12:41 pm

    The workaround from MBS IT involves “clearing the user caches and re-registering the MSCOMCTL.OCX component”. I’ve tested this on four PCs with Datastream now. Works fine – once did get error on first attempt but closing and re-starting Excel cleared the problem.

    • Jeff Wesson
      17 August 2012 at 12:44 pm

      We’ve not yet experienced this issue but thank you for the fix if we do.

  3. 20 August 2012 at 11:41 am

    Had the same issue at cardiff, we solved it in much the same manner, deleting ComctlLib.exd
    MSComctlLib.exd and it was fine after that. Our IT couldn’t figure it out so i googled it 🙂

    • markgreenwood
      20 August 2012 at 12:48 pm

      Feedback from our IT and the Thomson Reuters helpdesk was that in our case we also had to re-register the changed component.
      regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
      regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\MSCONCT2.OCX

      • 24 August 2012 at 2:17 pm

        thanks for that Mark, the issue reoccurred here at Cardiff and i passed on your advice and it is sorted now.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.